Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Review: Reason To Breathe by Rebecca Donovan

"No one tried to get involved with me, and I kept to myself. This was the place where everything was supposed to be safe and easy. How could Evan Mathews unravel my constant universe in just one day?"

Reason to Breathe (The Breathing Series, #1)
He knows there's something more to the girl sitting in the back of the class the moment he sees her. She's beautiful, intelligent, and athletic - but she slips quietly through the crowded halls, trying not to exist. Determined to get to know the elusive girl, Evan soon discovers. . .

Emma Thomas is hiding a terrible secret.

Reason To Breathe is an electrifying page turner from start to finish, a unique tale of life-changing love, unspeakable cruelty, and one girl's fragile grasp of hope.



Review
Genre: YA Contemporary Romance
Rating: 5 out of 5 Stars!
I've been wanting to read Reason To Breathe for quite some time, the only reason I have waited is because I was waiting for the sequel, Barely Breathing, to be released. I couldn't hold out any longer.
Emma is such a strong character, she will endear herself to each reader as she slowly starts to blossom, finding her true reason to breathe and gradually letting the wall down that she painstakingly built up around herself. Evan, oh Evan. He is a knight in shining armor, really, but in the subtle ways he lets Emma crawl out of her own shell without forcing her. He will leave readers breathless with his charming, calm determination. Sara, Emma's best friend, produced a lot of emotions from me. The reader will undoubtedly connect with Emma, but they will also connect with Sara(some readers even more) because of the struggles she deals with concerning Emma. I found myself completely breaking down when Sara would witness the evidence that Emma tried to hide. She was helpless to do anything without pushing Emma away and Rebecca Donovan did an exceeding job conveying the role of the powerless friend. The reader will be incapacitated to become anything less than invested in the story of Emma, Evan and Sara.
Reason To Breathe produces sorrow, compassion, fear, helplessness, anger, but there are moments that are heart-lifting as well. Rebecca Donovan captures each emotion between the pages with an effortless simplicity that is also overshadowed by the deep layers begging to be examined. Rebecca Donovan does a successful job of making the story as humanly as possible. Reason To Breathe is not a feel-good novel, it is not an easy read, but it is a much needed look into a realistic situation that has been brushed under the rug too many times. I can honestly say that I will forever be impacted by Reason To Breathe, in fact it is nearly impossible for me to think about this book and characters without feeling the sting of tears in the back of my eyes. There are only a handful of books that have made me bawl my eyes out, Reason To Breathe is now on the top of that list.

I highly recommend Reason To Breathe for all readers regardless of age or gender. This is a must read!





Reason To Breathe is currently available at AmazonBarnes & Noble and Smashwords

Make sure to add Barely Breathing, the sequel, to your tbr pile, it's expected to be out in May

No comments:

Post a Comment