Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Review: Witchy, Witchy(Spellbound #1) by Penelope King

I was fortunate to receive a copy of this book from the author through the group Making Connections on Goodreads

Witchy, Witchy






Publication Date
September 2011

Publisher
Self-Published

Available At









When Calista McCoy moves from the slums of the Louisiana Bayou to an illustrious beach community in California, she knows her life is going to take a drastic turn. But once she arrives at the beautiful mansion by the sea, dark secrets are revealed. . . secrets that become even more complicated when she meets the gorgeous neighbor boy, Nicholas, and she feels an unexplainable--and undeniable--attraction. He's everything she's ever dreamed of. Literally.


Her new life seems almost too good to be true. But as everyone knows, when somethings seems too good to be true, it usually is.

. . . And in Calista's case, is could be deadly.


Review
Genre: YA Paranormal Romance/Fantasy Romance
Rating: 3 out of 5 stars

I first learned of Penelope King when I stumbled across A Demon Made Me Do It, a dark YA paranormal tale that quickly captivated me. I think I can safely say that I was expecting something darker, but what Witchy, Witchy lacks in darkness is quickly made up by the magical journey that will just as easily entice readers.

The first three quarters of Witchy, Witchy are dedicated to character development, in my opinion. There is some slight mystery as the reader tries to figure out the placement of Nicholas and Justin, but within that first three quarters I felt that I successfully became intuned to the characters, able to know how each of the girls(Callista, Sophie and Lily) would react to any given situation. That, I felt, was a success on Penelope King's part. I often become invested in characters, but to add knowing to investment was a simple way to capture my attention throughout the story.

I have to say that I wasn't in love with Callista. She was a strong character, don't get me wrong, but she wasn't able to sweep me off my feet. She did have a realness to her though, for a sixteen year old. She was really naive at times, but would have moments of supreme clarity that added to her character. I did enjoy watching the growth she achieved, she started to become a stronger female protagonist at the end of Witchy, Witchy so I have high hopes that she will continue the growth into a character that WILL sweep me off my feet.

As the plot goes, there wasn't much mystery to get twisted in. The only question that kept reoccurring in my head was: someone has to be a Hunter, someone has to be bad. . . so who is it? I have to admit that for someone who likes to be tangled in mystery, I was content with how Witchy, Witchy progressed. Like I said earlier, I really appreciated the fact that I KNEW the characters. As you can guess, I will be reading the next book in the series, Kiss The Crystal Sun.

I recommend Witchy, Witchy to all lovers of romantic, whimsical fantasy. I think Witchy, Witchy will vastly captivate female readers of any age.

No comments:

Post a Comment